Monday, December 8, 2008

Twilight Review

After reading the Twilight saga, I definitely must consider myself a fan! I've written thoughts and critiques concerning each of the novels and I am interested to hear how other people liked them (or did not like them). Hopefully we can get some good discussion going! Here's my review of Twilight:

To accurately critique this novel, it is imperative that the reader recognize all aspects of the author’s intent in producing the work. Since it is meant for entertainment purposes, the expectations of the reader must realize this intent. There are many people who express distaste for Twilight, but that is because they are looking for some philosophical meaning that is not there. Don’t read too much into it. It’s a very enjoyable novel when it is read to entertain one’s emotions and thoughts. The reader must also understand that the novel was written for a teenage audience – specifically, the plot and the details are meant to arouse the interests and emotions of a teenager. This book fulfills its purpose quite nicely.

I have to admit that my favorite parts were the romance scenes which were described in great detail appealing to the reader’s senses and emotions. I could picture these scenes clearly in my mind because they were so well described by Meyer. It’s sexy without being explicit, which is certainly a sign of good writing. The story is exactly what teen audiences have been craving for years, which explains the success and popularity of this series.

In addition to these aspects, there are also things that I think could be improved upon. Firstly, there were too many questions asked throughout the novel. I understand that this was the means by which the reader and the characters learned about each other, but the unending questions became boring after a while, not to mention that many of the questions Bella asked were quite repetitive. Another critique that I have for this book includes my desire as a reader to identify with Bella. This seems to be the author’s intent; after all, Bella is an ordinary if not awkward and clumsy girl before she comes to live in Forks yet somehow she manages to attract the most beautiful boy of anyone’s imagination. This relationship is not likely to form, thus severing the connection between Bella and the reader who is most likely female. And yet, this relationship is perfect for the story; it would not have been nearly as good if Edward had not been his perfect self. Hmm…

The reason that I found New Moon and Eclipse to be more appealing than Twilight is because I found myself constantly fighting with Bella’s thought process and demeanor (in Twilight) which to me seemed almost more masculine, irrational, and aggressive than the average female. I also found it slightly frustrating that the novel was edited in terms of the normal teenage thoughts and actions involved in teenage relationship. There was never a hint about her thoughts roaming to sex which I found unrealistic and slightly disappointing. Luckily for those who agree with me, the rest of this saga is equipped with “sexual” encounters!

Despite these many criticisms, the novel is intriguing and after reading Twilight, I was intent on finishing the rest of the series. Unfortunately, I seem to be able to remember the negative aspects of the novel better than the positive ones. However, the positives definitely outweigh the negatives by far! Everything else was fantastic! Please read and enjoy this twist on romantic fiction! The Twilight series will definitely prove to be the classic love story of our teen generation.

Score: 8.5/10

No comments: